Monday, January 16, 2017

Tune-up Long Run and the Home Stretch

I had a fairly successful run on Sunday. The workout called for a 26.2km tune-up run at marathon pace, but this being my first marathon coupled with the string of injuries I've had recently, I thought I'd tone that workout down just slightly, so I revised it to 4 x 5km at marathon pace. The pace I'm shooting for is either 4:40 or 4:45 per kilometer. That would bring me in right around 3hrs 20min. A solid effort for my first marathon, in my opinion.

I felt strong and maintained the pace. Time of feet was right around 2 hours. With a taper and this final big week of running (I'm shooting for 88km/55 mi), to finally hit that mark would relieve a mental burden that came with some of those foot/ankle injuries. In addition, the wind was really whipping that day, I was running on a fairly full stomach, and there were seven ninety-degree turns on the 5km loop that I ran each segment. All that said, I feel that 4:40 or 4:45 will feel a lot easier on race day.

Today is the first workout of the 88km week. It's a 30-minute tempo run that partially runs along the race course. No turn. No cars. Just me and the wind. Me and my body, mind, and sould. 16 kilometers in total with a few plyometric exercises at the end. I hope to sleep well tonight. I hope to continue down this path that I'm on. And I look forward to few upticks in fitness that this week should bring.

I hope that your life is active and you are finding ways to balance your mind, body, and soul. Please say hi in the comments if you have a second.

I'm hoping to post on this later on, but the book I'm reading right now is blowing me away. It's called The Temple of the Golden Pavillion, a modern Japanese classic translated to English.

Support:
AJ Snook's Amazon Author Page
Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top